How long do gun safe dehumidifiers last? If you’re a first-time gun owner, stay tuned to find out their longevity and other aspects about them! Click on!
Humidity in the surrounding air may seep into your safe, producing rust, corrosion, and mildew on both metal and wooden components over time. This is when a gun-safe dehumidifier shines via all the benefits it brings!
Before investing money, many often wonder about its longevity in such a humid and dark environment. So, how long do gun safe dehumidifiers last? What factors do affect it?
To gain more detailed insights on this problem, let’s look through our article below as we will show you every essential thing.
Related Buyer’s Guide:
- Best Gun Safes for Any Budget
- Best Gun Safes Under $300
- 5 Best Gun Safes Under $500
- 5 Best Gun Safes Under $1000
How Many Types Of Gun Safe Dehumidifiers Are There?
Moisture in your safe may wreak havoc on your weapons, ammo, paperwork, and other valuables. When the safe gun air gets moist, the circumstances become ideal for humidity, rust, and mildew to develop and tarnish jewels, rust firearms, or irrevocably damage papers and cash.
Therefore, the gun-safe dehumidifier is designed to get rid of any moisture in the safe where you store your weapon. This item has two types, which are electric dehumidifiers and desiccant dehumidifiers.
The former dehumidifiers use heat to keep moisture out of your safe. They produce an exposed heating element to help evaporate moisture without threatening the contents’ safety inside your safe.
On the other hand, desiccant dehumidifiers keep your safe dry without the need for any electrical components. While they come in various forms and sizes, they are frequently canisters or packets containing specific, absorbent materials meant to suck moisture from within the safe like a sponge.
Related buyer’s guide:
- 10 Best Bedside Gun Safes
- 10 Best Car Gun Safes
- 10 Best Underbed Gun Safes
- 5 Best Biometric Gun Safes – Fingerprint Lock Tested
How Long Do Gun Safe Dehumidifiers Last?
Some gun-safe dehumidifiers can last to ten years, while others, such as disposable desiccant dehumidifiers, should be changed within a day. They have a very different lifespan, depending on the product type and brand of dehumidifier you purchase.
The following factors will decide how long your gun-safe dehumidifier can last.
- The Dehumidifier Brand: Brand should be your first consideration. If you buy a low-cost dehumidifier from an unknown brand, it might probably last for only a few years. Otherwise, renowned manufacturers often offer more high-quality items to protect and develop their brand.
- The Relative Size: The size of your dehumidifier, especially in proportion to the size of the gun safe, is the second element that will influence its longevity. Using a smaller dehumidifier in a larger safe will overwork and lead to a declining life expectancy. So you must locate the appropriate size dehumidifier for your gun safe to ensure its longevity.
- The Dehumidifier Type: Remember that some types of dehumidifiers, such as rechargeable dehumidifiers, are rather limited. They must be recharged regularly. Meanwhile, some can last for up to eight weeks after being fully charged; most rechargeable versions will only last for a few days.
- The Use and Installation: The longevity of your dehumidifier is also up to the way you use and install it. If the internal pieces are not correctly positioned, they may rattle. Proper use is also essential for extending the life of your dehumidifier.
In case you buy an electric dehumidifier, most of them can last for one month before needing to be recharged. Yet, the desiccant dehumidifier must be replaced after a month of use.
As mentioned above, some dehumidifiers possibly last to ten years if you recharge them once a color change is detected. The disposable desiccant dehumidifier can not be reused and must be changed within a day.
Should I Put The Dehumidifier In The Gun Safe?
Before installing a dehumidifier in your gun safe, consider your humidity level in your area, the frequency of your gun-safe usage, and whether you have a fire safe or not. Keep in mind that even a little quantity of humidity trapped within a gun vault can cause harm to weapons and other valuables.
So, if you reside near a humid area, you should get a dehumidifier. In case you use the gun regularly and live in a low-humidity environment, a dehumidifier is not recommended!
Where Should I Put The Dehumidifier In The Gun Safe?
This is entirely up to you because there are bottom holes that enable the wire to flow through. You can place it at the front side or deep within. However, the ideal spot is to place it in the safe bottom, where it can work most effectively to remove all the moisture.
What Is The Best Dehumidifier For A Gun Safe?
If you store your guns in a tight go-bag or hunter’s bag, a desiccant will be enough to keep moisture away. Mini dehumidifiers work well with both paper documents and firearms in a typical safe.
Suppose you are a gun collector, then go for a petite dehumidifier. It can cover a shed or a large bathroom and keep it dry quite well.
What Should The Gun Safe Humidity Level Be?
According to the NRA, an optimum and safe storage state has at least 50% relative humidity or a temperature range of 30 to 60%.
When it becomes any dryer than that, your gunstocks will deteriorate as they dry out and shrink. If excessive moisture is not controlled, it might cause your weapons to malfunction and damage ammo.
Is It Okay To Turn Gun Safe Dehumidifiers On Most Of The Time?
Most dehumidifiers can operate overnight with reasonable ease as long as there are no errors in your route (good maintenance, thorough airflow, no blockages, and no leakages).
Still, the device should include auto defrost mode so that it will turn off right away once it begins to overheat.
Hopefully, our article on “How long do gun safe dehumidifiers last?” has helped you clarify everything about the topic!
There are a variety of dehumidifiers with different longevity and qualities. So, if you wish for a dehumidifier that can protect your gun safe from humidity and moisture damages for long, consider influential factors carefully to make a wise purchase!