Discover the best gun safes under $300 in 2023. Explore top-rated options like the SentrySafe Gun Safe with Digital Keypad and the Stack-On 18-Gun Convertible Steel Rifle Cabinet. Find reliable security solutions for handguns and rifles without breaking your budget. Whether you’re looking for compact designs or larger storage capacity, our selection covers a range of needs. Get peace of mind knowing your firearms are protected in affordable gun safes that prioritize security and accessibility.
Stashing your gun away on the top shelf in your closet, or under the bed isn’t a safe enough solution for anyone in your household. The matter of proper gun storage becomes even more pressing if you have curious kids running around.
You could take your eyes off of them for a second, and there’s already a chance of a fatal accident happening.
Protecting our young is essential, so even if you can’t afford the high-end safes with all the bells and whistles, I’ve come up with a few that are just as good, but at a fraction of the price.
Continue reading to learn all about the best gun safes under $300 currently available on the market!
If you are in a hurry, Click here to skip the buying guide and jump straight to the top 11 Best Gun Safes Under $300 list.
Editor’s Picks: Top Rated Gun Safes Under $300 Table overview
11 Best Quality Gun Safes Under $300: Reviews And Buying Guide
VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe – A Smart Safe To Match Your Smartphone
- Compatible with the original Bluetooth APP. DO NOT support Nano Key 2.0.
- QUICK SECURE ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and compact firearm from the biometric scanner, auto-illuminating keypad with built-in proximity sensor, manual keys, or smartphone with the Bluetooth app. NOT compatible with Nano Key 2.0.
- AUTO OPEN LID and RESPONSIVE LED LIGHTING views safe contents at night with interior LEDs and built-in proximity sensor illuminates the keypad the moment your hand brushes the keypad for quick button navigation.
- TOUGH AND RUGGED HEAVY-duty 16-gauge carbon steel construction with a durable finish preventing corrosion and ensures long lasting protection of your belongings for years to come. Anti-theft protection features anti-pry bars, patented two point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and a rugged unibody design for strength and durability.
- COMPACT DESIGN CAN securely hold 1 handgun (or 2 compacts), magazine(s), passport, cash, and is easily mountable or tethered to a nightstand, desk, or vehicle using the included hardware. Easily portable to travel in your car, the office, or backpacks and luggage.
Small, but sturdy, the VAULTEK VT20i offers everything a modern-day gun owner could want from a gun safe.
The safe is equipped with a biometric scanner, as well as a backlit keypad – but the security features don’t stop there. Thanks to several different anti-theft protection features, such as anti-pry bars, interior hinges, and two-point anti-impact latches, you can be sure your valuables won’t get into the wrong hands.
What caught my attention was the VAULTEK app – a smartphone app that allows you to not only check the battery status but to keep tabs on the safe, too. It even gives you the option of unlocking the safe remotely!
Now, as much as tried to like the app, and did find it useful in some instances, such as checking the battery status, the fact that it only works when you’re within the unit’s Bluetooth range was a bit annoying.
I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but every time you want to check something, you have to pair with the device first, which often takes more time than just walking to the safe.
- It has several anti-theft protection features
- Made from 16-gauge carbon steel
- Features a biometric scanner and a backlit keypad
- Battery holds for up to four months
- LED light for low-light conditions
- VAULTEK Smart App allows you to keep an eye on things
- The app only works within the Bluetooth range
STEALTH Handgun Hanger Safe – Best Choices At The Ready
If you’re in the market for something with a bit more available space, but still within your set price range, STEALTH handgun safe should be right at the top of your list.
When all you want is quick access to your guns, keeping them at the ready is your best bet. And with the spring-loaded drop-down door and three guns hanging from the steel rods, that’s what you get! But don’t be fooled – this safe has an actual capacity of five handguns, as well as two clips!
It doesn’t lack in security, either. The backlit keypad is fortified with the Straw and Pick-proof design, four bolt-down holes, and a security cable, making tampering with the safe insanely tricky.
However, the beeping sound of the keypad is too loud. If you want to access your safe in secret, you should know up front that it’s not going to happen with this one – not unless you turn on the silent mode, that is.
Also, don’t count on the manual to give you some clarification on how this thing works – I know my safes, and I still found it hard to understand.
- Backlit keypad with optional silent mode
- Has a maximum capacity of five guns
- The spring-loaded drop-down door allows quick access
- Straw and pick-proof
- Has four bolt-down holes
- Comes with a security cable
- The manual isn’t very helpful
- The beeping sound is a bit too loud
Amazon Basics Portable Travel Gun Safe – A Traveler’s Trusted Companion
- Effectively safeguards valuables such as cash, jewelry, documents, firearms and more
- Compact design made with premium anti-pry steel and a foam-padded interior
- Easily transportable for traveling and small enough to store discreetly
- Includes a zinc alloy combo lock for additional security
- This case is California DOJ certified as a firearm safety device.
Looking for a safe that could comfortably fit under your car seat, so that it’s always there in case of emergency? Then look no further – this Amazon Basics model could be your perfect companion! Plus, I can assure you it’s one of the most affordable models out there.
Being compact and portable, it’s the best gun safe under $300 to have on the go. If you run out of space, remove the padding, and voila – extra room for passport and other valuables.
And while the lightweight design might be perfect for traveling, there’s always the issue of pretty much anyone being able to walk away with your safe – and your valuables. That’s why the safe comes with an anchoring steel cable.
I did find that the padding is a bit thin, although it’s advertised as four-layer foam. If it were only a tad bit thicker, it would’ve been perfect. Right now, though, everything keeps sliding around in the safe.
Also, the lock has a somewhat cheap feel to it. To be fair, I didn’t have any problems with it so far, but the overall feel makes me wonder how long it will last.
- Removable foam padding for more storage space
- Fits your passport, prescriptions, and other paper valuables
- Compact, lightweight, and portable
- Comes with a steel anchor cable for added security
- Extremely affordable
- The locking mechanism has a cheap feel to it
- The foam is a bit thin
SentrySafe Pistol Safe Quick Access Gun Safe – When Push Comes To Shove
- Gun safe provides secure storage for two standard handguns or one larger pistol and extra ammunition; pistol safe with digital keypad and interior light for visbility in any situation
- Gun safe features a gas strut to instantly and quietly open safe door for single-handed access to your handguns; ideal for use as a bedside gun safe
- Gun safe is constructed with solid steel and a pry resistant door for strength and handgun security; digital keypad and override key for back up entry; California DOJ certified gun safe
- Exterior: 16.4 in. W x 9.8 in. D. x 3.2 in. H; Interior 14 in. W x 6.5 in. D x 2.2 in. H; weighs 16 pounds; four AA batteries required (not included)
- For optimal performance, SentrySafe recommends the use of four high-quality, name branded, alkaline AA batteries with an expiration date of 8-10 years from the current year. Generic and rechargeable batteries often do not have the lifespan needed to support long term usage.Capacity:0.115 cubic ft
The last one on my list of the best gun safes under $300 is a model by SentrySafe. If you want to keep your handguns close, and be able to access them quickly in case of emergency, this should be your go-to choice.
The safe is large enough to fit two handguns (or a large pistol and extra ammo, depending on your needs), yet compact enough to fit in your nightstand or clothes drawer.
Thanks to the interior LED light, which is programmable to three different intervals, you’ll be able to see what’s going on inside the safe even in low light conditions.
Now, you’ll have to “wake up” the safe before putting in your combination. So, instead of pushing just four buttons, you’ll have to dial five – one to activate it, and four to unlock it. Keep that in mind when you’re in a hurry to open the safe.
Also, it doesn’t open as silently as advertised. It’s not loud, but there’s still a distinct hissing sound when the door starts is opening. I’m just wondering why would they promote it as “dead silent” when apparently, it’s not.
- Fits two handguns or a large pistol with ammo
- Features a digital lock and a manual key one
- Has programmable interior LED light
- The door has a pry-resistant design
- DOJ certified
- You need to “wake it up” before dialing your combination
- It doesn’t open silently
7501 Paragon Lock & Safe Electronic 5 Gun Rifle Safe – Superior Against Prying
- GUN STORAGE – This gun cabinet is equipped with an LED lock operated by (4) AA batteries (not included) that is easy to program with your own 3 to 8-digit combination code. The gun locker includes two manual keys should you forget what your code is.
- INTERIOR LOCKING CABINET – The interior of this gun cabinet features a built-in gun rack for holding up to five rifles with room to safely and securely store pistols, handguns, and ammunition. The digital entry replaces the need to make multiple keys.
- RUGGED CONSTRUCTION – Made of durable 18-gauge solid steel, this pistol safe has hidden door hinges for extra protection and to resist hand and mechanical tool attacks by would-be thieves. Plus, the powder-coated safe has carpet padding on the bottom.
- INCLUDES HARDWARE – The gun safe for pistols comes with all the necessary hardware to secure it to either a wall or the floor of your room. Heavy-duty anchor bolts help ensure the gun storage cabinet will not tip over when being opened or closed daily.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Materials: Powder-Coated Steel. Dimensions: (L) 13.75″ x (W) 11.75″ x (H) 57″; Interior: (L) 13.75″ x (W) 9.5″ x (H) 56.75″; Interior Cabinet: (L) 13.5″ x (W) 7.5″ x (H) 6.5″. Weighs 110lbs. Anchors Included. Color: Black.
Paragon 7501 is an 18 gauge steel safe that you can rely on. It is large enough to provide plenty of room (five rifles fit in comfortably) and ammunition. And it comes with an additional lockbox located on top of the unit for smaller guns and valuable things you want to put away.
The unit is lightweight, so you need to mount it with anchor bolts to prevent it from falling. It is made from steel, but it is prone to denting.
The most important feature of every safe is a lock, of course. With 7501, you can be completely carefree because this unit comes with a digital access combination lock with a user-friendly program. But it also comes with a set of manual keys that will guarantee you additional safety. You can change codes unlimited times.
There are few things about the opening system that I’m not so fond of. At first glance, you will notice that this safe uses a pinwheel three-peg opening system. This means that the opening procedure is more complicated than you’d expect. First, you need to enter the PIN code, then turn the pinwheel and rotate the pegs to open the door.
Also, the unit is equipped with a buzzer that is too loud for my taste and in emergencies, can alert intruders.
- Dual lock system
- Comes with additional lockbox
- User-friendly digital program
- Codes can be changed unlimited times
- Must be mounted for safe use
- Prone to denting
- Complicated opening system
- The buzzer is too loud
Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe – A Zero Delay Mandatory Safe For Every Gun Enthusiast
- 🔐 Secure Firearm Storage: California DOJ approved rifle safes provide a secure and dedicated space to store firearms, ensuring safety and compliance.
- 🔒 Secure and Silent Access: Biometric rifle safes with silent mode ensure discreet and secure firearm storage, allowing quick access without noise.
- 🛡️ Ample Storage Space: Designed to accommodate rifles, ammunition, and accessories, offering an organized solution for gun owners.
- 🏢 Versatile Placement: Suitable for home or business use, rifle safes can be installed in various settings to meet security needs with included hardware.
- 🔒 Rapid Access & Extensive Memory: Biometric rifle safes provide swift entry with fast access and can store up to 120 unique fingerprints for convenient and secure firearm retrieval.
This unit is perfect for gun owners that need more space for their rifles and equipment than standard. The unit comes with a removable shelf where you can store your handgun or other valuables. But don’t overburden the shelf, or you could dent it. On the other hand, it is spacious enough to fit in four rifles without accessory attachments.
It is built from highly-resistant steel that can’t be broken or drilled, but it is not fire-proof. The three built-in deadbolts will provide extra security against prying. Because of its size, you can mount it anywhere you want. The mounting process will be easy because the unit comes with pre-drilled holes; all you need to do is to anchor it at the desired place.
Locking systems use biometric technology that will allow you instant 2.5-second access, which can come very handy in a stressful situation. You can store up to 120 fingerprints in the database. You can scan your fingertip in four different positions, but always make sure that at least 2/3 of your fingertip is pressed against the sensor or module will not recognize it.
Also, you can activate the silent mode by pressing and holding the button located on the handle for about 10 seconds. In case your battery runs out, you can open the safe manually with the key. The keyhole is hidden, and you will locate it under the brand’s tile below the handle.
- Built from highly-resistant steel
- The smart biometric lock system
- Silent Mode is available
- Hidden keyhole
- Can store up to 120 fingerprints in the database
- The shelf is prone to denting
- The unit is fire resistant
Steel Electronic Storage Safe – Sleek Design For Compact Hideouts
- SPACIOUS, CUSHIONED INTERIOR: The built-in rifle rack provides storage space for up to 5 rifles, with a padded interior floor to prevent scratches on firearms
- MAXIMUM SECURITY: A digital keypad lets you program this electronic storage safe with your own 8-digit passcode, and 2 included override keys allow for manual locking and unlocking; perfect way to deter theft and keep firearms away from children
- DURABLE, HEAVY-DUTY DESIGN: Made of a tough, high-quality solid steel construction, this safe is built to withstand prying and tampering from even the toughest of tools
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION & MOUNTABLE: Conveniently includes sleeve anchors to securely bolt your safe to the wall or floor of any closet, garage, or basement that you choose
- KEEP ACCESSORIES SECURE: Designed with an internal lockbox with 2 compartment keys, perfect for keeping firearms and ammo safe, as well as other small valuables such as documents, family heirlooms, and more; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 13.75″(L) x 11.25″(W) x 57.25″(H); FIREARM CAPACITY: 5
This is the most budget-friendly safe on this list. It is excellent for storing your rifles and ammo. The unit has a built-in rifle rack that will allow you to store five rifles. On top of the safe, you will find a smaller lockbox where you can put away your smaller guns, documents, and other valuable things.
The unit is made from heavy-duty steel, and it is relatively light-weight. It has a sleek design so you can install it in your closet if you want to hide it. It comes with pre-drilled holes and with anchor bolts to help you secure it in the wall or floor. The interior floor is padded to prevent scratches on your weapon.
The safe comes with a dual locking system. A digital access combination lock will let you program this unit with your PIN code. Also, you can use a standard key locking mechanism. For additional safety, you can combine both locking methods. Unfortunately, many users complained that the digital lock system fails after some time and that the unit can’t be opened.
Some parts of this unit, like a keypad and the handle located next to it, are made from plastic that is not durable as expected. The handle is prone to breaking, and the keyboard is too noisy, and there is no option for silent mode.
- The capacity of the unit is five rifles
- The unit comes with additional lockbox
- Sleek, compact design
- The interior floor is padded
- Dual locking system
- The digital lock system is prone to fail
- The keypad and handle are made from plastic
- The keyboard is too loud
- Silent Mode is not available
Get The Best Value For Your Money: Tips On Buying An Affordable under $300 Gun Safe
Before we go any further, here are a few essential tips on how to pick the best gun safe for your needs – and your budget:
1. Know How Much You’re Ready To Spend
Okay, we agreed on the upper limit being $300, but how high, within that budget, are you willing to go? If you continue reading (and I strongly encourage you to do so), you’ll see that, even in a price range as low as this one, you still have a lot of options.
Some models are incredibly cheap, while others can push the upper limit – and get away with it. So, it’s not as simple as settling for anything that costs less than $300. Be ready to set a limit for yourself, and preferably do it before you start browsing the market.
2. Make A List Of Things You Plan To Keep In The Safe
It doesn’t have to be a real list; I’m sure a mental note would work fine, too.
The point is that you should have a clear idea of what you plan on keeping in your gun safe (besides the gun, of course), and avoid the trouble of realizing that your valuables don’t fit in the one you bought.
Choosing a safe with the right size and capacity will be easy once you know what you’ll store in it – an entire rifle collection or just a small handgun.
3. Consider Why You’re Buying A Safe
Now it’s time to talk about safety – deciding on the type of safe locks you’d like to have on your safe will be one of the most significant decisions you’ll have to make. After all, the lock is what keeps everyone else from accessing the contents of your safe.
And while I can’t tell you which one’s the best, I could point you in the right direction with a few simple tips:
If the main reason why you’re buying a safe is to minimize the risk of kids finding your gun, then even a simple key lock or a combination lock should suffice.
However, if you’re worried about intruders, I suggest you stick to electronic locks, especially the biometric ones that utilize fingerprint scanners.
4. Are You A Frequent Traveler?
You’re probably thinking:
What does that have to do with anything? I’m looking for a gun safe, not camping equipment!
But here’s the thing:
Weight plays a huge role in where and when you can access your gun safe. So, if you want a unit that will have a permanent residency in your home or office, you should always go with the heavier one.
Plus, there’s the added security factor here, as well – I bet you no one’s going to try to steal an entire 100-pound safe.
There’s the issue of portability – if you’re someone who likes to spend their free time out on the road, and you wish to keep your gun (and other valuables) on you at all times, getting a compact and lightweight model makes a lot more sense.
5. Keep Your Expectations In Check
And no, that doesn’t mean you should keep your expectations low – there are plenty of excellent gun safes at the price point we’re talking about today.
But you need to realize that a $300 safe could never have all the bells and whistles a under $1000 gun safes has.
You wouldn’t compare apples and oranges, now, would you?
FAQ About Under $300 Gun Safes: Everything You Might Be Wondering
I know you probably have some unanswered questions about gun safes, but you’re not entirely sure who to ask. Here are a few you might find helpful:
Will a cheap gun safe protect my firearms?
If you’re picky enough, you should be able to find a pretty decent gun safe, even on a tight budget. Of course, you can’t expect it to have some of the high-end features you would find in the expensive models, but if you’re looking for something that will protect your guns from getting into the wrong hands, a cheap safe will do.
Do I need a dehumidifier for my gun safe?
Since your gun safe will most likely not be airtight, the continuous airflow should take care of humidity. However, if you want to play it safe, and minimize the chance of corrosion, throw in a few Silica gel packets.
But if you’re serious about protecting your guns, then yes, a gun safe dehumidifier is a good idea.
Do gun safes need any special maintenance?
Most gun safes don’t require any special maintenance – they’ll chill in a hidden part of your home for years before they start showing signs of “aging.” That said, if you do notice some squeaking when you’re opening and closing the safe, covering the deadbolts with oil should take care of that.
Is a gun safe warranty important?
What kind of question is that? Of course, a warranty is essential! You wouldn’t want to buy a faulty product without the option of doing something about it, now, would you?
If nothing, having a gun safe covered by a warranty (even the standard, one-year type) will give you some extra peace of mind.
Related Buyer’s Guide:
- 5 Best Gun Safes Under $500 – Reviews And Detailed Buying Guide
See, I told you there are plenty of options out there, even if you’re working with a tight budget. Now, all that’s left is to announce the winner – the best gun safe under $300. My personal favorite is the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe. It’s the perfect safe for a modern-day gun owner.
Given everything you’ve read so far, which one seems like the overall best to you? Leave a comment below to let me know!
Last update on 2023-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API