Safetyhub is supported in part by its readers. If you buy something through our posts, we may receive a commission at no extra charge to you. Inventory and prices are accurate as of time of publication.
Most individuals have been victims of theft and burglary, and this occurrence can be frustrating, especially when you have had to part ways with some valuable items.
Of course, you have safes in your homes, but are these safes helping to keep your things secure in the face of theft?
Probably not, this is because this safe is easily noticeable and any skilled locksmith will only need a few minutes to crack the code, well that is if you are not forced to give up the system.
These are why it is crucial that you have one of the best diversion safe.
So, what is a diversion safe? Put, they hide valuables in plain sight. This article is aimed at helping you choose the best diversion safes either to add to your diversion-safe collection, or you are planning to get your first diversion safe.
- Ram-Pro Hide-a-Spare-Key Fake Rock (check price)
- Diversion Safe Hair Brush by Stash-it (check price)
- Hide A Key Cash Hider Sprinkler Head (check price)
- UniquExceptional 2-DIVERSION BOOK SAFE Made from a Real Book (check price)
- Book safe with Metal Lockbox (check price)
- Greek Art Garden Diversion Safe (check price)
- Fireproof Document Bag (check price)
- MEGA Bolt Diversion Safe (check price)
- Hanger Diversion Safe by Stash it (check price)
- Diversion Safe Water Bottle (check price)
- AmazonBasics Portable Security Case Lock Box Safe (check price)
- Festivals the Snea-Key Fob Diversion Safe (check price)
- BAGUIO Store Car Key Safe (check price)
- Coca cola Coke Soda Can Diversion Safe Stash (check price)
You have probably spent a reasonable amount of time trying to pick out the best diversion safes. A whole of manufacturers keeps building new diversion safes with the hope of getting in your pocket. New diversion safes are manufactured every month, and therefore, choosing a diversion safe requires that you know the quality and specification of the best ones in the market.
Check out a few of the best diversion locks:
Ram-Pro Hide-a-Spare-Key Fake Rock: useful for keeping your keys secured.
A downside to this fake rock is that it’s not resistant to water, and also, the white plastic bottom is not very secure as chips of paints come off, thus exposing it.
- This is a key holder that looks just like a rock; it provides an ingenious way of hiding your key in plain sight. The rock feels real when touched and is a perfect option for camouflage. This fake rock is similar to other stones and is not noticeable with a casual glance if placed in an area where there are other rocks or where rock could be (like in a flower bed).
- The fake rock is highly durable; it can be put in a few different situations and still hold firm coupled with the fact that it keeps keys safe, clean, and dry. The rock can be placed underground, on a stable surface (exposed to the elements), and submerged underwater for a few months at a time without making any change or adding sealant.
- It is made from molded poly-resin, which matches real rock in size, shape, texture, color, and weight. The material also makes it weatherproof and windproof.
- The white plastic bottom is not very secure with chips of paint and exposed white plastic or resin could usually give it away. It would not pass as a real rock in a garden or lawn. Only the top part of the fake rock looks like a rock, the bottom part is made of plastic.
- It is not very resistant to water, and as such, the keys kept inside can rust and get damaged.
Diversion Safe Hair Brush by Stash-it: a multipurpose brush that serves both hair and security needs.
This hair-brush safe is suitable for anyone hoping to stash some valuables. Although this hair-brush can be used as a regular brush, it has a top plastic cap that pops off quickly reveal the empty compartment inside. Although it helps to store a reasonable amount of stash, the chamber can only store very little at a time.
- Blends Right In with your other Beauty Products: The best kind of diversion safe is one that doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb! The issue with most diversion safes is that they are cheaply made and don’t like authentic. The Stash-it Hair Brush Safe is a great diversion safe, but it is also an excellent actual Hair Brush.
- Helps to stash money and other valuables: The Stash-it Hair Brush Diversion Safe is a great way to hide your valuables in plain sight.
- Improved version: The 2019 model of the hair-brush safe as been fine-tuned in terms of durability and sturdiness. It is not expected to break easily except in extreme situations.
- It is multipurpose: Apart from stashing money and valuables, you can also use it as a blow-out brush and detangler. It has a hollow core that includes a small plastic smell proof bag.
- It does not sound entirely fool-proof as the top usually comes off easily.
- Another downside is that the cap to the secret compartment looks like a pretty obvious rubber cap, whereas the regular brushes have more of a wooden disc.
Hide A Key Cash Hider Sprinkler Head: Useful for storing keys and cash.
A rather distinct disadvantage of using this diversion sale is that when it is stored underground, the keys and valuables are likely to get damaged. The key could get soaked by water and subsequently get rust. More so, sticking it to the ground is rather tedious.
- It creates a total blend into your yard with sprinkler head appearance. It is easily concealable when stored underground.
- It is corrosion, heat, and impact resistant. It is made of Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, a plastic polymer that is not susceptible to any one form of underground attack from termites, among others.
- It is very simple to operate with a built-in key chain, and you don’t have to pull the whole vault out in case of use. With the key holder, you can attach a key while in use.
- Heavy construction with enough room to accommodate many keys.
- It differs from most sprinkler heads because it lacks the silver ring as part of the top.
- It is not water-resistant on a long term basis. When kept underground for a long time, valuables are liable to get damaged. The hook itself is not particularly water-resistant.
- The end of the sprinkler head is not pointed, and as such, sticking it into the ground is quite tedious.
Diversion book safe with Metal Lockbox – great for storing Handguns and cost-friendly.
It is not super secure and could easily be smashed open, so it’s not something that is suitable expensive jewelry, a massive wad of cash, and some specific kind of guns. But it is excellent for small items like paper, jewelry and so on. The “pages” of the book are hard plastic, the “cover” of the book reveals the metal underneath effortlessly, and the “binding” of the book is a little weak.
- When kept at length, it can be quite conspicuous. It will blend seamlessly into once bookshelf.
- Safe locking mechanism: This is not a self-locking safe, so you won’t accidentally lock the keys inside.
- Fool-proof and sturdy. The weight suggests an actual book, so even if it’s picked up, it will not tip off a thief.
- Open book to unveil a secret storage compartment that is perfect for home, office, school, travel, Rv’s, and boats.
- It is large enough to accommodate some items. The inside storage area measures: 2 by 5.625 by 9-inch, Complete book measures: 2-1/4 by 6.125 by 9.5-inch, which is among the largest of its series.
- It isn’t really enough as the pages inside are made of plastic.
- There is no lettering on the spine, and this makes it look less like a book.
- It isn’t huge enough to accommodate more items.
- It can be detected when held up for close inspection.
2-DIVERSION BOOK SAFE- Made from a Real Book
This is a real book designed to serve the purpose of a safe. The only downside to this diversion book safe is that it doesn’t come with lock and key, and such is not secure because it can get missing or even stolen. Another disadvantage of the book is that it is not water-resistant and, therefore, must be kept away from moisture.
- Made from original book material: They look just like a real book, and they are books from famous authors, so they don’t even remotely look like safes.
- Compartments: Excellent quality book safe. That is an actual book. You get two books; each of the books is about the same size and are made from real hardcover books. The first book has 98 pages before getting to the hidden compartment, and the second has 24 pages. The inner chamber is cut out into the pages of an actual book.
- The book jacket can be changed hassle-free.
- It is not water-resistant and as such, is susceptible to moisture, which could damage the pages of the book.
- The inner compartment velvet cover is a little flimsy and very small.
- It doesn’t have a lock and key and, as such, can lead to a considerable loss if stolen.
Greek Art Garden Decoration Turtle Cast Iron Key Hider Stone Diversion Safe
This diversion safe is a superior metallic safe designed to proffer a solution for persons who find themselves misplacing their cars, house, and bike lock keys. Its artistic design makes it possible for its users to hide valuables in plain sight.
- It is a perfect way to hide valuables as its artistic design gives it the ability to blend the surroundings easily
- The turtle cast diversion safe is weatherproof and windproof, thereby providing an assurance that documents, items, and other hidden valuables cannot be affected or dampened by the weather conditions.
- It lacks a lock and key and, as such, can lead to a considerable loss if stolen.
- It has a small compartment and can only be used to store small items.
Fireproof Document Bag
This bag is made of very high-quality silicone coated fiberglass, which is able to withstand a temperature of 2000ºF. The fireproof container is very portable and designed to keep valuable items safe.
- It is fire both fireproof and waterproof
- It is durable and foldable which allows for easy transportation
- It has two well-compartmentalized zippers, which provide for the natural classification of documents and other items in the bag.
- It can be easily stolen
- Also, it lacks any form of a combination lock.
MEGA Bolt Diversion Safe
Mega bolt diversion safe was designed to keep concealable valuables such as bills, memory cards, gems, and jewels, among others. The rubber inside the bolt head serves as an airtight seal for the stored contents, hereby making it weatherproof.
- It is weatherproof
- It is can only be used to storage of minimal items
Hanger Diversion Safe by Stash it
This hanger diversion safe performs the work of a hanger as well as that of a safe. It can be used to hide and stash valuables such as cash, passports, documents, and many more.
- Possess large storage capacity
- It is one of the excellent hiding spots to stash your valuables when traveling or staying in a hotel or at home
- It is durable
- It can be easily be placed among your clothes in a wardrobe; this makes it less noticeable.
- It is neither water-resistant nor fire resistant, thus, exposing the stored documents and items to higher risks of damages
- It lacks any form of lock
Diversion Safe Water Bottle
This diversion safe is a very realistic and visible water bottle, which is the very last place a thief would check for your valuables. This bottle possesses a distinct mechanism that makes sure that the container is never accidentally opened. Rotating the bottom of the bottle in a counter-clockwise moment will expose the plenty of space needed to secure your valuables.
- It is portable and very mobile
- Its seamless design makes it invisible, so no is able to tell that it is a diversion safe
- It offers the medium of storing valuable items as well as keeping the owner hydrated.
- It is a vacuum insulated leakproof.
- The diversion safe was designed only to house specific items such as cash, credit cards, and other small items.
- The diversion safe water bottle has no lock.
AmazonBasics Portable Security Case Lock Box Safe
The amazonBasic security case safe, with its compact design and a foam-padded interior, makes valuable items such as cash, jewelry, documents, and firearms, and so on. These items are easily stored and transported within the owners’ reach.
- It is easily transportable
- It has a combination lock which makes it difficult to access when stolen
- It is not fireproof
- It has no way of unlocking it once the combination lock is broken
Scotch Lint Roller Diversion Safe Stash Can
This diversion safe is made from a real and functional scotch lint roller which is designed to perform the function of a lint roller as well as keep your precious and valuable items safe without attracting the attentions of thieves and burglars.
- This diversion safe helps to hide your valuables in plain sight without attracting any suspicions
- This diversion safe can be kept anywhere
- It is human friendly
- It is smell-proof
- It is not fire resistant
Festivals the Snea-Key Fob Diversion Safe
This diversion safe is designed to keep valuable items such as cash, medications safe, and undetected. It is opened by putting a key at the bottom of the fob. It is perfect for keeping essential items during parties, vacations, and travels.
- It is portable and can be easily transported
- It is able to store valuables undetected.
- It is not water-resistant
- It is not fire-resistant
BAGUIO Store Car Key Safe
This is a safe incorporated with a car key, thereby, making stored items highly inconspicuous.
The interior waterproof pad makes it water-resistant, thus, keeping your stored valuables safe from the dangers of water.
- It is water-resistant
- It is portable and convenient to carry
- It helps to keep the valuables within the user’s reach since it is attached to the car key.
- It is not resistant to fire
- It can only store minimal items
Coca cola Coke Soda Can Diversion Safe Stash.
This coca cola can mimics the semblance of the famous coca-cola can drink, and there is no way of telling the difference between this stash can or the real can drink.
- It is a safe way of keeping your items as it is less noticeable
- It is water-resistant
- The white cap that opens the can is made in such a way that, it needs to be entirely removed before opening the can, thereby, making it evident that it is a stash can
- The stash can be easily damaged
- It is not fire-resistant
Why do I need a diversion safe?
Based on several types of research, it has been discovered that most home intruders spend fewer than 6 minutes inside anyone’s house, and once they are inside your house, its serious business. They’re on the look-out for the most common hiding places for valuables and carting away what they can. This is more the reason why you need a diversion safe.
A diversion safe is able to store money, jewelry, and other valuables, and it could be the exact equipment you need in your home, your office, or a hotel room. The best part is that they’re highly affordable, and police believe that they’re even more useful for the protection of valuables compared to heavy locked safe.
Diversion safes VS Traditional safes
The growing popularity of Diversion safes cannot be overemphasized, and their designs are usually eye-catchy. Using a diversion safe, you can hide your cash and small valuables in an “empty” soft drinks bottle or a supposed jar of ham in the fridge.
Usually, these safes look intriguing, because who is going to look for money or valuables in groceries or hair-brush? In many cases, these safes try to keep your valuables safe. However, they are not as efficient as traditional safes. Here are some points to note:
Traditional safes have locks. You can choose between keyed, coded, or biometric locks, but when diversion safes, more often than don’t have locks.
This means that if a thief finds your diversion safe and becomes curious, he or she can easily open it, look inside and see your stash. With a traditional locked safe, this is rather difficult. Although the issue of locks in diversion safes have been addressed with manufacturers now providing locks to more diversion safes than ever.
More so, a vital benefit of a diversion safe is that a thief shouldn’t be able to find it. Instead, it should hide successfully in plain sight, but sadly, even this attribute isn’t necessarily true in all cases.
The problem with a conventional safe is that an average individual will know there’s something of value inside. It’s a box full of treasures in the eyes of a criminal, and as soon as they see one, they know whatever’s inside is worth stealing. Moreover, who puts trash in a safe? We put $100 bills, gold coins, expensive jewelry, and family heirlooms in them.
So when presented with such an opportunity, a thief won’t blink an eye to pick your safe. They are ready to detach it from the wall if that is what it takes and trust me; they know how to open it “back at the shop.” That’s why it may be safer to hide your valuables in plain sight. This is not removing the option of using conventional safes.
Many traditional safes cannot be moved quickly, and to make them even more secure, you will have to bolt them to the floor, making them completely immobile. In contrast, diversion safes are mostly lightweight and can, therefore, be carried about with ease, although this comes with its disadvantage, especially if a thief finds it, he can slip it into his pocket and run.
How do you choose the best diversion safes?
The most common misconception about the diversion safe is that most are usually hide-a-key rock; even though this is the most common diversion safe, it has been found to have its disadvantage hence the need for other types of diversion safes. Diversion safes can be made from books, cans, hair-brushes, and some other materials.
Before deciding on which diversion safes to purchase, there are a few things you ought to know. Here are some top tips for choosing a diversion safe:
Pick a dull-looking safe
It is better if a diversion safe looks mundane as long as it ensures better security. The purpose of these safes is defeated if they stand out from their environment because it makes your valuables susceptible to theft. This is also coupled with the location of your safe. If your diversion safe is an ordinary object, like a hair-brush, if you have it lying around in the house, it could draw unnecessary attention.
They should look believable
Carved out book diversion safes in a gift shop are a distinct stock, they are hardly mistaken for a book. Such diversion safes sort-of act like a “safe,” but a right diversion safe looks just like any other ordinary object.
Use Something Secure
It is quite easy to put a few hundred dollars into an old toothpaste container, but what happens when your roommate or friend tries to use the toothpaste? Hopefully, they’re trustworthy enough not to steal from you, but more often than not, people rely purely on disguise with their diversion safes.
The best diversion safes will have some locking mechanism, coupled with a good disguise. These locks won’t stop a burglar from taking your “empty” bottle of laundry detergent with them back to their hideouts but would serve as a better deterrent for some curious people, which makes it worth the extra investment.
Avoid junk items
Most people usually find it tempting to reuse an old paint can or shoebox to hide their valuables, items such as these often get thrown out or misplaced, especially if you don’t live alone or you receive guests often. You wouldn’t forget you stashed some cash in one of the old hair-brushes in the house, but close friends might not think twice before throwing it out when next they come visiting.
You don’t need to choose junks for your diversion safe, instead use something that an average person is not expected to throw out, like a nursery plant. Use items that have a level of permanence in most people’s lives, so they, along with your valuables, are less likely to get misplaced or thrown away.
Here is a video on diversion safes
Related Buyer’s Guide:
For this guide, the top pick is the Diversion book safe with the Metal Lockbox. This choice is dependent on the fact that it has a lock mechanism, unlike the rest.
After all, what is a good safe without a lock? More so, it is easily concealable, too, and can also be moved about with relative ease.
It has the largest compartment compared to others on the list provided because it can conveniently store a handgun. It is quite similar to the 2-diversion safe book, but the only downside to this book is its susceptibility to water.
People who are buying their very first diversion safes and do not have enough experience should carefully read user reviews. Many buyers from the marketplace leave their impressions about various products, including diversion safes.
Thanks to the reviews, you will be able to see all the subtle differences between any diversion safes on the marketplace and find a diversion safe with the best materials and price.
Best Diversion Safes